For someone who is in a rather busy phase of life (working part-time while raising a two year old with another on the way), I subscribe to a rather comical number of magazines. I always find myself thinking, wow, I'd only pay .50 cents an issue if I sign up for this deal, and forget that my leisure time is not what it used to be. But still, relaxing outside in the sun with a cold drink and a magazine to flip through ranks among my favorite activities, especially if I'm next to the ocean. Here are my top five favorite magazines:
1) Cooking Light. I don't have nearly enough time to try all the recipes I want that come in each issue, but I have rarely - if ever - been disappointed by one I've tried. And they are relatively healthy too! One of my favorite columns is when they ask a reader for a tried and true favorite recipe that is terribly bad for you, and then lighten it up, while still keeping the yummy flavor.
2) Runner's World. It often inspires me, or gives me the kick I need to get out the door or train for my next race. Plus, it's full of cool new gear, nutrition ideas, and stories about running. It's also fun to read about the crazy, CRAZY people who do things like run 50 marathons in 50 states in 50 weeks.
3) Real Simple. The cover is always so crisp and clean, and so are all the articles inside. Sometimes I feel like the pieces they run are a bit repetitive, but it's fun to imagine the ways that I could be organized and on top of my life. I even employ one of their suggestions every once in awhile.
4) Sports Illustrated. I'm a pretty big sports fan, and can keep up with most conversations about almost any major sport. As we approach NFL training camp season, my desire to read up on players for my fantasy football teams starts to take over!
5) People. Everyone needs a little mindless reading in their life, and this is where I choose to get mine. I don't subscribe, but it's generally the first magazine I pick up when I'm at the airport and need to kill an hour, or I've managed to escape and grab an hour of "me time" at the local bookstore. Gotta love the Hollywood gossip!