Friday, February 19, 2010

The Friday Five

This week I've been spending way too much time (and consequently, staying up way too late) watching the olympics.  And I've been doing a bit of thinking about how much time, dedication, and motivation these athletes must have.  They train years and years for a performance that is often over in a few minutes, or even seconds.  Crazy!  But I also pondered what sport I'd want to compete in if I had the athletic skills to be an olympian.  In no particular order, here we go:

The top 5 Olympic Events in which I'd like to compete

1.  The marathon.  I know it sounds crazy, but I love to run.  I've completed a marathon before, and it was fun.  Well, the first 20 miles were fun, the last six, not so much.  But to be able to do it quickly, and well, running five minutes miles (instead of what I believe was just over a nine minute pace in my race), would be such an awesome sense of accomplishment.  I'd love it!

2.  Beach volleyball.  What's not to like about this idea?  You get to spend hours of time outside on the beach training, in the sunshine, hearing the waves (I'm glad I leave for Mexico on Saturday!).  Plus, as an added bonus, you get a killer work-out every time you play.  My muscles would be so toned, and I wouldn't be so  darn pale (have I mentioned I'm looking forward to spending time in the sun this weekend?).

3.  Bobsled.  Ever since I watched the movie "Cool Runnings" as a kid, I've thought it would be so much fun.  Not nearly as dangerous as the luge, it's basically like being a professional sledder.  Every kid's dream, right?

4.  Gymnastics and the balance beam.  This also goes back to when I was younger and watched the likes of Kerri Strug and Shannon Miller win gold for team USA.  I'm pretty sure I'm dating myself here!  I would love to feel graceful and composed when walking on a four inch beam.  An yes, I remember that it's four inches because the commentators mention this every three seconds.  Not to mention all the cool jumps, twists, turns, and flips.  So fun!


5.  Soccer.  I love playing the game, and for the most part, watching the game.  I should note, though, that I understand the criticism from those who don't play.  There's not much scoring and if you don't understand the strategies, or appreciate the awesome individual ball control, it's not very exciting.  I was a solid player in high school, one of the best on my team, and I played in off-season travel leagues as well.  But I never thought I was good enough to play in college, so I didn't try (one of my biggest regrets).  I'd love to play again, especially with Mia Hamm.

What about you?  What would your top sports be?

No comments:

Post a Comment