- Emily has started to say what she does and does not like. In the past few days, she has told me she "yikes" circles, eggs (which she actually will not eat), watching George (Curious George, that is), play-doh, and friends. Friends generally refer to our good friends Andy and Sarah. I think Emily believes their last name is Friends.
- If we tell Emily something that she does not want to hear, like it's time to go to bed, she puts her hands over her eyes as if that will somehow eliminate her from hearing or having to obey us.
- She has a firm grasp on what things she is not allowed to touch, only sometimes she thinks it applies to everyone, and if I pick up the TV remote, she'll sometimes tell me "no mommy, no touch".
- She picks up on and remembers things so quickly. I read her a new book about Percy the Pig one time, and hours later she asked to read Percy. I had no idea what she was talking about, and she had to remind me who Percy was and where the book was! She also likes to narrate to me what's going on in the picture of books.
- She has a very good grasp on at least three songs now: her ABCs, Jesus Loves Me, and Twinkle Twinkle Little Star.
- She has become very interested in sitting on the potty right AFTER she has actually dirtied her diaper, and will become very agitated if we don't let her before putting a new diaper on. I see potty training in our near future, hopefully with a slight adjustment on the timing of the aforementioned sequence.
- She is very, very good at puzzles, and can also identify a circle, square, and triangle.
- When we tell Emily she is a big girl, she'll respond back to us. "No. Mommy/Daddy big girl". As you can imagine, daddy gets quite the kick out of this.
- She likes to take her pajamas off in the morning, and we'll often find her naked in her crib in the mornings. She'll look up proudly and say "I change!" (as in, I change my clothes)!
- She has started saying (well, whining would be more accurate) "I can't" to things she either can not or does not want to do.
- Her vocabulary grows daily, and often says words I had NO idea that she knew. This morning, on our walk to Julie's house, she said "careful mommy, snow slippery". And yesterday, she found a small bag of sun chips, brought them to me and said, "I want this". I responded by telling her we could have a few with our lunch soon, and she looked at me again and said "I need this". I don't know if she truly understood the subtle difference in meaning, or was merely trying another phrase to get me to open them sooner, but what a smart girl!
Wednesday, February 3, 2010
It's been a busy past few weeks in our household. This past weekend, our whole family took part in wedding festivities officially welcoming Kara into the Plantinga family (pictures, and a full recap, to come soon). While we've been neglecting the blog a bit, I wanted to take a moment to write down some of the many memorable things that Emily has been saying or doing lately, as this blog has always been a sort of substitute baby book for us. So here we go:
Posted by Sarah at 2/03/2010 05:52:00 AM