Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Our New Normal

I'm so thankful that the Lord knows me so well. When we moved to Pittsburgh for Eric to go to school - with a spirited three year old and an infant - I didn't imagine working was in the cards for me. Not because we wouldn't need the money (we sure do!) but because there didn't seem to be any scenario that would prove to be financially beneficial while simultaneously not completely overwhelming. Put another way, I may have been able to find a full-time job that would net us enough money to justify childcare expenses for two children for 40+ hours, but there was no way that I was comfortable leaving them for that long each day. As I found with Emily, part-time work is what sits best with me as a mom. It allows me enough of a break to miss my kids, to engage in adult conversation, to challenge parts of my brain that aren't normally used in parenting, etc. But at the same time, it's not so much that I feel like I'm missing out on milestones or bonding time with my girls.

I was given the gift of a job opportunity a few weeks ago when I was asked to interview for a part-time position in our church. I now work Monday, Wednesday, and Friday mornings with a great group of people. I feel challenged to do my work well, and I get to hear words of affirmation in a way that my little ones aren't able to provide me for me. I work in the same building on the same days that Emily goes to pre-school and Sophie is in the lovings arms of childcare providers just down the hallway from me. All in all, I couldn't imagine it working out any better. Our new normal routine is taking a bit of adjustment, but I praise God that "Before a word is on my tongue, you know it completely, O Lord!" (Psalm 139:4).

No comments:

Post a Comment