Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Morning

(Preface: Let me begin by saying that this actually started last night, as Sophie was very fussy, and up three times in the middle of the night.  I am fairly certain this hadn't happened since she was two weeks old).

Today Emily has preschool.  Her preschool is absolutely wonderful (and interestingly, also where I myself went to preschool) but it is also about a 12 to 15 minute drive from our house depending on the traffic lights.  School begins at 9 a.m. and runs until 11:30 a.m. so even though it's a long drive, I normally plan to return home after dropping her off.  We were running late this morning, so I actually kept my pajama top on and threw on my coat.  When we got there though, the parking lot was empty - a bad sign.  After a phone call to the teacher I learned that there was a two-hour delay.  And contrary to the name, school would begin at 10:30 a.m. today.  What?  The sun is shining, there is a high of 40 degrees today, and no new snow.

Nevertheless, I was facing a bit of a dilemma, as I did not want to drive home only to drive back again in an hour, and then home again, back again to pick Emily up, and home again.  No problem, I thought.  Plan B, the library.  We drove there, and found out it was closed until 10 a.m.

Okay, Plan C, walk a few blocks over to Starbucks and hang out there for a bit.  Fortunately, I had the double stroller in the trunk, and both girls had hats.  It was at this point that I learned the cause for the two-hour delay: ice.  Lots of ice, in fact, which made our walk more of a skate.  I fell twice, biting my lip once, causing way more blood than it should have.  And when we got to Starbucks, it was closed.  Power line down, or something of that nature.  By this point, Sophie is screaming and Emily is telling me her hands are cold, because although we had hats, we did not have mittens.

Plan D, walk back the car, drive around for a few minutes, hit up the library, and then head to preschool.  This plan worked, though I must point out the library was having furnace issues and was about a thousand degrees inside.  Any normal person would have removed their coat, but if you'll recall, I was in my pajama top, so I sweated through it.  By the time I got home after preschool drop off, there was approximately an hour until I had to leave to pick Emily up one more time.  Oh well, it was enough time to feed Sophie, dry my bloody lip, take a much deserved shower, and put on actual clothing.  I know in the grand scheme of life, this was not a tragic morning.  But boy, I could use a nap right about now!

1 comment:

  1. Dude! Next time you're stranded in Sewickley, high tail it over to my parents house! I'm sure my mom could have found some toys, made you all hot cocoa, and even lent you a shirt. :-) Glad to hear it turned out alright in the end.