Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Nineteen Months Old!

Emily,

You turned nineteen months old yesterday, inching your way closer to the day when I'll be able to count your age in years instead of months.  As it is, I somehow thought you were turning twenty months old today, until I looked at our last post and realized my error.  We're having a good summer together as a family.  It's been busy, but at the same time also relaxing and tons of fun.  This month, you spent some time with grandma Ruth, pap pap Barry and aunt Elsa, while your dad and I went to New York City with our good friends Peter and Susan.  It was hard being away from you for almost a week, but it was good for us, I think.  I sure had fun seeing you at the airport waiting for me when we got back!



You've got such a strong personality, Emily, and if I could learn at the rate that you do, I'd be the smartest human on the planet by now.  It seems like every few days you have a new word, a new game, learn a new animal sound, etc.  Your favorite things to do now are watch Elmo videos on youtube, which you request to do at least five times per day and I consent to at least twice, take walks down our street, have a "nack" (snack), carry your "arf" around (stuffed puppy dog), and read any touch and feel book.  You're able to identify me, your dad, and yourself in pictures.  You can identify Grover's feet or Spot's eyes.  The way you say your own name just melts my little heart.  You've also started asking "why" but I'm not certain that you fully understand that you're asking something.  I'll tell you it's time to change your diaper, you'll ask why, I'll tell you because it's dirty, you'll ask why, I'll tell you because you ate too many beans, you'll ask why, and on and on we go.  I think you like saying why because it keeps the conversation going, and I keep talking to you, which is pretty sweet.



You're still as busy as ever.  You don't stay still.  At all.  But, in general, you're pretty happy.  You still like to be wherever we are, and do whatever we're doing.  And you're still most contented whenever everyone in a room is paying attention to you.  But it's so, so easy to get you to smile.  And you've been sleeping like a champ.  I don't want to jinx myself here, but after months and months of fighting naps, there have been more than one occasion where you've looked right at me, said "nigh nigh" and then settled right in to sleep after a quick song and some cuddling.  Let's keep that up, okay?  You are so much happier when you're well rested.  And for the record, that means we all are.


I love you little one.  Thanks for being my sweet little girl.

Love,

Mommy

1 comment: